How to make Cuban rice with chicken
The arroz con pollo is one of the recipes rice more triumphs in the blog and this Cuban version is on its way to becoming another success. It is a simple , inexpensive and very tasty dish . Which, in addition, serves as a single dish, so you don’t have to mess around too much in the kitchen to fix the food. A single pan, a single preparation and ready.
Arroz con pollo is one of the most famous dishes in Latin America. In Cuba it is prepared with a touch of cumin, oregano and a product called Bijol® that we have replaced with saffron . Apparently Bijol® is a powder that is obtained by crushing achiote grains and that, in Cuba, is used as a substitute for saffron to season and give food a yellow color, so we are quite sure that we have made the right change.
This recipe for arroz con pollo is a classic in the home kitchen of a lifetime, but with a very special touch of spices. A basic in our kitchen that falls often. Because of how tasty it is, how well it goes in and because it is very complete. It triumphs among the little ones at home and is a perfect way to introduce vegetables into your menu through one of your favorite dishes.
I hope you are encouraged to prepare this Cuban dish so comforting and that you find it as yummy as I do!
Preparation of the rice base. Vegetables and chicken
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan (a low casserole also works) with a diameter of 24 cm and brown the chicken drumsticks on all sides.
- Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of ground cumin before removing from the pan and setting aside.
- eel and finely chop the onion. We wash, dry and also chop the red pepper.
- In the same frying pan to sauté the chicken, poach the onion and red pepper over low heat.
- We take advantage of the chicken fat and, if we see it necessary, we add a little more oil.
When the onion is transparent add the garlic, peeled and minced, and cook for a couple of minutes. We stir so that all the flavors and ingredients are united. We Cuban-style chicken rice thighs to the pan and water with the broth. We also add the tomato sauce, a pinch of ground saffron, the bay leaf, dried oregano, salt and ground black pepper.
- Olive oil 120 ml chicken broth
2 chicken thighs with skin 60 ml tomato sauce
Ground black pepper 1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 chopped onion 200 g of round rice (better if it is arroz bomba) 30 g canned peas
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic
Preparation of rice and presentation of the Cuban-style chicken
- Next we add the rice and mix well so that it is totally submerged and bring to a boil. Cook over high heat for five minutes. Then we lower the heat and cook for 12-14 more minutes over low heat, with the pan covered. Depending on the type of rice we use, it may take more time.
- We finish the rice by adding the peas and stirring so that they integrate, but very carefully because they are very delicate. We serve immediately and enjoy a unique yummy dish!
Follow the steps of this delicious Cuban chicken rice recipe in the album. Do not miss a detail so that it comes out perfect.
Tips for a perfect Cuban chicken rice
- In the Cuban rice with chicken recipes that we have consulted, we found that the cooking time of the rice is much longer than usual in
- Spain: between 35 and 40 minutes.
- We have used Spanish Bomba rice, so we have been guided by the cooking times of our gastronomy.
- The amount of liquid can be increased, depending on whether you want a more or less soupy rice with chicken.
- You can enrich the broth by adding a little beer or, conversely, reduce the flavor by using part of water instead of broth.
- It is important that when chopping the vegetables they are into small pieces, so we will achieve that their texture is not noticeable but the flavor that it gives to the rice.